Friday, June 4, 2010

Iron sharpens Iron


So I'm having one of those days where I don't want to be around anyone. I have one of these about bi-weekly. I don't believe I'm the only one who does either. Probably anyone who is in any kind of close knit community or is just a social person in general feels this way at one point or another. I'm kind of a mental processor. So I'm ok for hours just keeping to myself doing whatever I feel like doing and not caring about anyone else. I am a selfish bastard.

I say all this because this has been a recurring thing for me for the past couple years since I've had a desire for community. I realize daily that I am more selfish than I previously thought. I sincerely believe God has called us to be intentional in our relationships with one another. It's not an easy thing by any means. It takes a daily "dying to self" kinda mentality. It is a sacrifice of sorts. I tend to disgust myself when I realize why I'm frustrated at situations and the answer turns out to be that I'm just not getting what I want, or worse that I'm not willing to serve others. Selfish... I'll admit it... I R SELL FISH!

It's said that anything worth having is worth fighting for. Even if what you are fighting is your own selfish self. Community is amazing. We were created to be up in each others business. If you don't believe that you are either way way way different than anyone I know well. Or you are fooling your self and are in for a rude awakening.

Community is the main reason we moved to Norwood. There is a community here based around the Vineyard Central church. Some people involved, some not. But all realized in one capacity or another, we need each other. We have so many people we love dearly within walking distance of our backyard (and we do like to randomly show up at each others houses unannounced without knocking haha). It has caused Sarah (wife) and myself to grow immensely. Iron sharpens Iron. We are truly blessed by everyone around us.

So all this to say. I am being taught a lesson in selflessness and/or community. It sucks but is the best thing for me and my family.

I'll leave you with this....
What were they thinking???

No comments:

Post a Comment